Let me start by saying I would have been making pretzel rolls for years if I’d known they were this easy! I’ve always thought homemade pretzels would be amazing- but I was always convinced it involved some sort of trickery or sorcery to make them so perfectly ‘pretzely’. Turns out it boils down (pun totally intended) to a soda bath! Two teaspoons of baking soda were seriously all that was keeping me from the wonder that is homemade pretzels! I saw this amazing recipe for pretzel rolls on Pinterest and promptly pinned it to my ‘pin it and forget it’ board. However, my husband caught me and said, “Whoa, those sound delicious! You should totally make those!” Crap… This is why I can’t pin when he’s around.
I gave them a go and they were soooooo good! I made a few tweaks to the recipe the second time we tried them and they were still unbelievable! There is nothing quite like busting out homemade pretzel rolls when guests come over! I feel like such an adult now that I know how to make them!
2 Cups milk, heated to 120°
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 packet (2 tsp) quick-rise yeast
4 +1 Cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp water
Salt to sprinkle
- In stand mixer with dough hook combine milk, sugar, and yeast until dissolved. Let sit 1 minute.
- On slow speed gradually add 4 cups flour. Then add salt.
- Slowly increase speed to medium while adding remaining flour until texture is smooth and pulls from the sides of the bowl.
- Place in oiled bowl, cover with damp towel, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Press into two 9”x11”x3/4” rectangles and cut each into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, cover and let sit 20 more minutes to finish rising.
- Heat oven to 425° F and put a large pot of water on to boil. When it reaches a rolling boil, add baking soda. Slice the top of each roll once (or into an ‘x’) and place in soda bath. Boil for 1 minute, turn over and boil 1 minute.
- Remove and place on greased baking sheet.
- Combine egg and water, brush top of each roll and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Check and continue baking in 5 minute intervals until dark golden brown.
- Remove, let sit 10 minutes, and enjoy!